Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First time buying used Motorcycle
I was wondering if there are some tell tale signs for avoiding buying a used bikes.

The bike i was looking at has scratches on both ends of the handle bars and was told it was dropped once, hard enough to bend the clutch handle bar but it landed on the engine slider so no damage elsewhere. However, one of the rear view mirrors was snapped on when "someone walked by it in the garage" and a crack on the fender in the front when "something heavy in the garage landed on it".

Otherwise, the bike looks pretty perfect and well kept, runs well and I was told he does all the maintenance work himself premature to them being required.

It's a 2003 SV650 with 44k kilometres on the odometer, asking for $3300 despite the little scratches here and there. He seems like an honest bike enthusiast and even warned me that the KK race brakes he put on don't work as well when they're cold but work really well once they warm up.

I'm worried that the scratches are hiding a bigger accident, and that he's more concerned with getting rid of the bike than to worry about me being unable to handle the race brakes.

Messages In This Thread